Friday, October 24, 2008

Randomosity!



I'm in the library, er, studying for physics with Rudy and Katherine in the No Shhh! Zone. I feel like I understand most of it conceptually, but writing equations for systems confuse me a bit. We've been doing conceptual and calculation practice problems like crazy.

Thanks to Jeff, I recently discovered the genious of an LDS composer/musician named Jon Schmidt! His work is so passionate and exhilarating! Go listen to his music right now! My favorites are "All of Me," "Waterfall," "Game Day," and "Pachelbel/U2".

College is very difficult but an absolutely wonderful experience. I have so many stories to tell from within the past two months, I'll just blog them whenever I suddenly remember one! For example:

A couple of weeks ago, a bunch of us went to the projector room in the LRC to watch Jurassic Park. I'd never seen it, so it was really exciting for me! We brought blankets and pillows, and the girls crowded together on the floor and most of the guys sat in the student chairs. Everyone got really excited when the granddaughter came on, because apparently I look a lot like her. I absolutely love the soundtrack/theme of the movie, of course. Who doesn't love John Williams? I remember playing the theme in middle school and loving it. As we were watching the rest of the movie, when the raptor burst out in the basement, I screamed so loud! Everyone laughed, since they knew it was coming.

Another movie story! At about midnight, we all decided to sneak onto the track near Helaman Halls and watch "Stranger than Fiction". Everything worked perfectly. I got my speakers, we all snuggled up together in blankets and pillows, some sat on a covered bench, and the laptop was propped on the ___. We watched until 3 AM or so, and the laptop still had 12 minutes of battery power left. We packed up, left no trace of our having been there. Just as we were walking out, we saw a little golf cart pull up. Some of us started running away (stupid!), but we were pretty much caught. They shone the light in our eyes, and Katherine spoke up:
Campus Police: Why do you think you guys can be in here?
Katherine: Well, the other day a janitor told me that if you lived in Helaman Halls, you could use the track any time you wanted.
(all of us thought she was BSing, but she was telling the truth! a janitor really did tell her that. probably to see if she'd get in trouble...)
CP: How did you guys get in here?
K: Um, we crawled under the fence...
CP: And is that a good indication that you're welcome in here this late at night?
All of us: Nooo....
The funny thing is, they let us off without a hitch! It felt strangely good to get away with it. See what Mormons do for thrill-seeking??

Until next time, DFTBA!

4 comments:

Jeff Powell said...

Hooray for Jon Schmidt! :D
I thought it was funny that those cops busted a whole seperate group of kids at the track. I didn't even know they were in there :P

Harbour said...

Actually, two groups of kids! I saw one go in earlier. A popular spot, i guess, despite the busted-ness.

Torch said...

Wow! You're good! It sounded EXACTLY like Billy Joel!

Eagle Maiden said...

So many ... seem destined
To settle for something small
But I won't rest until I know I'll have it all...I've got to be where my spirit can run free
Got to find my corner of the sky!

You go!!!